Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ashton, is that you?


Y'all, Mondays hit me like a proverbial swarm of locusts--infiltrating my peace and destroying my joy and filling up all the wrong places, i.e. my bed. Not to be dramatic, but between my allergy-plagued (sorry to continue with the plague theme) eyes, that literally began bleeding last week after being awoken from their peaceful slumber, (I hope you are all envisioning the image of grace and beauty that is your's truly in the morning hours) and my California King bed that is make of Heaven fluff and baby bottoms I just ain't got time for Mondays.

Granted, I also don't have time for Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

 Mornings and I just...clash, but anyway on this particular Monday I entered full war-combat with the morning hours. After hitting the snooze button for the umpteenth time, I left my cuddly animal (my actual animal not my husband, who had long departed for a night shift) and began apprizing the situation that is "getting ready." For anyone that knows me well they know I take getting ready in record time as a personal challenge and art form--15 minutes and not a moment longer before I am spilling hot coffee and moving out the door. This Monday, I could not find my coffee mug lid (to later be found in my makeup bag... apparently, I was saving it for the dark ages when Joe and I need me to start using concealer for hiding my bags and coffee creamer. He would argue that with the price tag this should be considered. Anon.), so I poured my coffee into three different mugs before finding a freaking-matching-lid...is this TOO much to ask? I think not. Next, I scramble to gather an assortment of papers that resemble my copies that need to be made and spill said coffee on said resembling lesson plan thingies. Run (literally, y'all) out the door and down the stairs to realize I forgot my makeup bag (not to be too transparent here, but I would indeed sell an organ for the magic that dwells in that seemingly blasé, black, Vera Bradley bag).  Once I am finally on the move and feeling liberated that I, indeed, will make it to work, I am landed behind the world’s slowest moving Miller Light delivery truck. Beer should not be delivered before the hours of 8 A.M., but this dutiful truck took its responsibility of quenching the desires of all those who thirst with the utmost seriousness. Moving not a nudge above 31 m.p.h. I wanted to pull alongside the responsible driver and inquire if he was actually transporting the art of the covenant in a grand twist of irony, I thought better and begrudgingly applied my prized foundation. Fatefully, the Miller Light magician was en route to my exact location, so we trotted along until he turned on some street that showed zero signs of 7/11’s or fraternal institutions. Logically, I accelerated to make up for lost times and now was coasting at 55, feeling like Wonder Woman…but what is that in the distance? What are all those taillights for? Oh yes, regulation tree cutting that can only be performed during the morning compute.  Y’all, I would not boast I am the most patient of people, but like seriously? After passing the state-employed Lumberjacks, who disappointedly do not even wear flannel, I was home free. But, oh. OH. The train…I was once again stopped for a train that I swear was longer than usual moving slower than usual. Alas, I pulled into my parking spot and stepped foot on glorious land.

Do y’all ever get a case of the Monday’s? Like everything--read above, everything feels like it is going against you. A spiritual case of the Monday’s? Can’t quite get consistent with your quiet times and worship feels uninspired. A physical case of the Monday’s? Battling a disease that remains nameless or continuing receiving bad news from a string of doctors.  An emotional case of the Monday’s? Continually feeling unfulfilled and without purpose. I pray y’all bypass that Miller Light truck, turn swiftly right before the lumberjacks, and beat the train by a mile. Mondays are just a set of circumstances lying to you. Mondays tell you that joy cannot be won and victory is not yours. I pray that you are perpetually reminded that we serve a God that is better and sweeter and more sovereign than circumstances will lead you to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment