Thursday, April 10, 2014

Fresh Face: Current Favorite Products

No shocker to the world, but I have a confession I really love some makeup. Hellllur (cue Madea voice), if you spend any time with me it is apparent that I love my makeup. Also, I love perusing YouTube videos (please let me know if you need recommendations because I have two lists: 1. the hysterically odd ones and 2. the really helpful videos). Momma B is quite the diva and she long instilled in me the importance of quality in your face care products and makeup. She also taught me to budget for biweekly manicures (Hubs isn't as keen on this one ;)). I also really enjoy doing others' makeup and am a sucker for playing with new products. Drop me off at a Sephora and I would be content for hours on end! Do not hear me wrong in that girls are not beautiful without makeup, but for this girl I feel especially confident when I am sporting a fresh face! I am all for practices that renew girls' confidence and make them feel as beautiful as they truly are! Also, let me admit I am all about convenience and sometimes do my makeup in the car (Read: I always do my makeup in the car. Picture a manic me holding an eyeliner in one hand, while chugging coffee in the other...Oops). 

Drum roll, please. Here are my current favorite products. Refer to the numbers below for all the deets.





1. Well-Rested Eye Brightener Broad Spectrum SPF 20: Ladies, run and do not walk to get this concealer. I struggle with pretty severe allergies and consequently, have killer dark circles. This product does exactly what it promises makes you look well-rested! It also provides wonderful protection via SPF (very important in this sensitive zone around your eyes!).  I also love the look of the powder which was surprising to me as a long under the eye liquid concealer veteran. I use a dense brush to apply it under my eyes. An additional benefit is how little product you need!

2. MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15: Okay, foundation is tricky! I have tried several different types of foundation and have most recently settled down in the MAC district, but believe the Studio Fix is my current fav out of the various foundations offered. I love coverage, like a lot of coverage. Studio Fix offers the best long wear coverage in my opinion, without looking "cakey". There is a face and body foundation offered that is equivalent to onstage makeup--this is supposed to offered the most coverage; yet, I think Studio Fix provides day long, natural coverage. One more note: if you are a newbie to MAC products their foundations are divided into two branches when looking for your right color match. You will notice foundation comes in shades such as NW 32 (the color I wear)--NW is for yellow undertone skin shades and NC is for red undertones and the number is increasing shade color (32 would be a dark shade in comparison to 20). One flaw of this product is the bottle does not include a pump (which you can buy from Mac for a few dollars. I did not buy one), and this may prevent you from utilizing every drop of the product.

3. Hard Candy Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer ($6.00 at WalMart Stores): Six dollars, y'all! This gem's claim to fame is its ability to cover even tattoos...well, it probably would. I can attest to its wonderful ability to cover zits, and the like. I apply this to blemishes after application of my foundation. I highly recommend this concealer, especially for the low cost. Another plus is the shades are very user-friendly: ultra light, light, medium, tan, etc. I apply this with a foundation brush and I rarely have to retouch its application. While I am due for a new tube you get a ton of wear from this product and smaller than a dime size is more than enough.

4. Covergirl Lipslicks Smoochies in Text Me 220 (Less than $4.00 at grocery stores): You might want to pick this up based on its adorable name, duh. This product is less of a daily go-to for my routine, but a fun pick for Spring and Summertime. I often felt too cowardly to try out red lips, but the sheerness of this chapstick-lipstick dual mix is the bomb.com. I also love the sheerness that isn't too thick and doesn't leave your lips stained...aka looking like a 6 year-old that was playing in momma's makeup stash or a cray cray that could make a cameo as Mr. Kool-Aid's boo thing! It happens, y'all.

5. bareMinerals READY Blush in The Faux Pas: I know this color looks a little clown-esqe, but fear not it is really great on a variety of skin tones and looks surprisingly natural. I love to wear this color year-round. It provides awesome contour and is super fun. I also use this daily and have owned it for almost year now and still have plenty. bareMinerals also offers blush in loose powder, but I find this easier and longer lasting.

6. Rimmel Exaggerate Eyeliner in Noir (Target): I am forever looking for the perfect eyeliner. I was long a MAC eyeliner wearer, but I went through it way to fast and find this Rimmel to be comparable, if not better, for a major cut in price! As mentioned earlier, I have some kickin' allergies so I reapply eyeliner at least once a day because my eyes water and POOF! it is gone. This does a wonderful job staying in place and I favor the roll-up mechanical eyeliner to a sharpener style for convenience. Also, it comes with a blender on the bottom, which is great for different eyeliner looks!

7. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium: Last, but not least! I love MAC Skinfinish as a finishing powder. On weekends I will often use this alone for less coverage, but I mainly use it to set my foundation. I would highly recommend trying out a finishing powder if you aren't pleased with the look of your foundation. Powder sets foundation for longer wear and a much more flawless finish. Also, do not be shy about returning makeup if you aren't pleased. MAC (and I know many other brands) will refund your purchase even after you have used all the product if you aren't pleased or you were poorly matched up!

Let me know if y'all have any questions and I would love to hear some of your favorite products (or if you have had bad experiences with any of these--not everyone has the same experiences)!



2 comments:

  1. girl! if i could take you to target and show you all my favorite elf products! they are all so good! i haven't spent over $6 on any makeup products (aside from falsies) in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, girl! I love e.l.f. products, too! :) I use all their brushes!

      Delete